Teaching is an art. Rajeev Ranjan
Duties and Responsibilities of a School Teacher
The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery…….Mark Van Doren
The teachers’ entire personality is a reflection on the minds of the students. If the teacher is honest, leads a balanced and disciplined life, the children adopt these virtues as an ideal conduct unconsciously.
Duties of Teacher in—————–
- Detailing every student
- Build one to one relationship with students
- Know everything about your students’ i.e. family background, learning habits, merits and demerits, special qualities(physical skills, language skills, emotional skills, social skills, cognitive skills and spiritual skills )
- Make students aware of realities of life
- Inspire students to face problems with braveness
- Aware them how to behave with strangers
- Teaching Techniques
- Provide important information in both oral and written formats
- Keep instructions brief and uncomplicated. Repeat them word to word
- Announce the dates of examination/tests well in advance
- When teaching a lesson ;state objective of lesson, review previous lesson and summarize periodically
- Use more than one way to demonstrate or explain information
- Use school digital board. Correlate/Associate textbook content/information with the best material audio/video/you tube. Online material must be relevant to age/class/subject
- Prepare topic worksheet/holiday worksheet in own subject which is supervised and checked by the Principal
- Keeping records of Unit Test/Class Test/Saturday Test/Internal Examination
- Keeping records of students’ extracurricular activity (Various competitions i.e. dance, song, drawing and painting, debate and speech, sports and games etc )
- Checking Student’s diary on daily basis
- Keeping his/her copy of books of subject/subjects he/she teaches for each class from store
- Correcting Exercise book/Notebook of each student regularly and according to school guidelines
- Reach classroom on time(note more than 3 minutes)during changing over period
- Zero Periods: – Work on your own way of English Speaking. Provide enough practice for each student to speak in English. More focus will be given to academic challenged student(weak student)
- Lesson Plan: – Prepare your lesson/topic plan well in advanced. Teacher has to carry lesson/topic plan in each class. (Compulsory). Submit your lesson plan on Saturday without fail. Feel free to prepare lesson/topic plan in advance according to your convenience. Divide a big lesson into different main topics and prepare lesson plan ahead.
- Remedial Period:- Ensure proper seating arrangement for the weak students near by the teacher (i)Help weak students (ii) teach weak student like a tuition teacher (iii)ensure equal level of learning for one and all
Other Essential Duties
- Participating in the co-curricular and extracurricular activities in the school
- Assisting in the planning and organizing of school events and functions (Inter house Competitions, Inter- school competitions, concerts, plays, prize day, etc)
- Undertake professional duties and organizational tasks as reasonable delegated by the principal
Non Academic Responsibility
- Ensure that electric fans/bulbs are not on if the students are not in the class or before leaving any classroom
- Ensure that classroom is neat and clean if not then inform concern person to do it
- Ensure that the classroom items like chalks, duster, charts etc. must be written in demand register placed on reception counter in at least one week advance
- Ensure that students are maintaining discipline during going to water point/washroom/playground/returning to class/ eating in mess/maintain silence
- Ensure that your suggestion for improvement of academic and non-academic environment of school must be written in teacher’s suggestion register placed on reception counter.
- School rules :-
(1) Kindly avoid carrying mobile phone in the classroom. Keep your mobile at safe place. School will not be responsible for lose/steal/damage of mobile
(2) Please avoid notebook correction in the classroom. It is strictly prohibited; however you may check/review given class work for a while (according to teacher need)
(3) Teacher will send only one student at a time for washroom/drinking water/other task (along with out pass)
(4) Teacher will join assembly on daily basis.
(5) Kindly keep your stationary or articles/belongings at safe place.
- Physical punishment is strictly prohibited in school campus/classroom. Kindly avoid it. In case of incompleteness of home work/class work/, kindly write notice in the diary. If it is repeated, immediately bring the case into principal’ notice.
- Student’s Leave Application: – Collect leave application from absent student duly signed by parent/guardian and maintain its record. (Duty of Class teacher)
- Teacher’s Leave Application: – Kindly take prior permission of CL or Leave on school leave register.
- Teacher’s School Uniform: – Wear school uniform and identity card on regular basis.
- Personal Care
- Always wear school uniform prescribed by management
- Always wear employee I Card
- Always wear helmet if you ride motorbike and always carry your driving license.
- We wish a fruitful stays at school. We firmly believe that you will contribute your 100% whole heartedly for the growth of organization. We are looking forward for your cooperation for the growth of your professionalism itself as well as for the organization.
Teacher’s classroom observation format
School principal, teachers’ educator and educator observe teacher’s classroom teaching techniques. The main objective is to guide teacher for managing classroom effectively, deliver designed lesson to the students, effective teaching techniques , students involvement in the classroom etc. This observation leads to teachers’ empowerment. It should not be fault finding observation instead it should be teachers’ empowerment through providing proper guidelines and equipping teachers with effective teaching techniques. Its’ main objective is to make them alert, aware and sensitive educators who can feel the pulse of students’ need and cater the need of academically challenged learners as well as academically gifted learners in the classroom.
Best Teaching Techniques for teaching weak students
Teachers’ Skill Test
How to Promote Skill Based Teaching
Dear Teachers Time:-15 Minutes
Teachers conduct several activities in the classroom for promoting different life skills among students. Teachers give instructions for completing the tasks. These are designed tasks for you from all core subjects. You have to read the questions and decide that which skills will be developed through this activity i.e. creativity, explorative, problem solving etc—-.
More than one skill can be developed through one particular question, so mention all probable skills—————————–
Read the questions carefully. Which skills will be developed through this question? Teacher needs to identify different skills. First do yourself —check your answer on 2nd page………..
- Write ten lines on “If I were a bird”.——————————————————————————————————————————————————————
- Draw increasing/decreasing shapes of the moon.————————————————————————————————————————————————-
- What happens if (a) there is no fire (b) there is no wheel ————————————————————————————————————————————–
- Prepare a list of 10 activities where you have to take help from others. ———————————————————————————————————————
- Write correct sentences from these incorrect sentences —————————————————————————————————————————————-
- Creating Dialogues, taking clues from the chapter” How the Dog Find in New Master” creates dialogues between man and dog, when the dogs meet him. ——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–
- Angle formation :- Take circle cut outs , fold them and make crease to make following angles (90 degree), (45 deg), (60Deg), (180Deg) —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
- Whole Numbers: Cartoon Making (Interdisciplinary activity of fine arts). Take A-4 size coloured sheet. Make Cartoon of first 10 numbers. (i.e. Yellow-Smallest Number, Red-Greatest Number )——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
- Components of Food:- Activity( Staying Healthy and Cheaper Way)-Search internet/any other source and find out easily available local cheaper alternative food items that could be included in diet to make it whole some and easily affordable. Eg. Expensive dry fruits and nuts can be replaced by groundnuts and chestnuts. Task 2.-Make displayed cards on coloured sheet and put them on class boards. Task 3- Values based – inform your maid, sweeper and other helping hands about these foods that keeps you healthy. ——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
- Ashoka the Emperor who gave up war, Activity (Designing a national symbol for India), Material Required (A4 Size Sheets), 1. students to design a national symbols for their country India. They will write also slogans under it. 2. Look at the lion symbols and explains what the original symbols had and why?——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————–
- A, vicharatmak bhavaabhivyakti, writing skill
- Creative skill and thinking skill
- Thinking skill/ Logical Skill
- Attentiveness/ Intellectual (baudhhik ) Expertise /Listing Skill
- Grammatical knowledge/Language Skill
- Creative writing , thinking skill, imagination , originality, Vocabulary enhancement, Life Skills(Empathy)
- Creativity, Imagination, Logical Thinking
- Creativity, Logical Reasoning, Problem Solving
- I Observation, understanding, discovery, Identify, inquisitiveness , Expression , awareness, Recognise, problem solving , creativity
- Discover, Critical thinking, cultural value, social thinking , artistic value
Life Skills (UNESCO)
English Language Teaching Objective and Learning Outcome at Elementary Stage
Learning Outcomes at Elementary Stage
English language teacher will adopt integrated language teaching approach. We will focus on developing different language skills (Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing) and integrated grammar. The National Curriculum Framework (NCF 2005) provides the framework for developing curriculum and syllabus, textbooks and teaching practices within the school education programmes in India. English teacher should focuses on developing LSRW skills in the classroom. They should focus on developing different language skills and teach integrated English Grammar for developing language accuracy and fluency among students.
Learning should be an enjoyable act where children should feel that they are valued and their voices are heard. The curriculum structure and school should be designed to make school a satisfactory place for students to feel secure and valued. The curriculum should focus on the holistic development of the students. (National Curriculum Framework- 2005) Students should learn following things in an academic year. Primary level is crucial stage for learning. Student learns language very fast in this stage. Teacher should cover all necessary skills for the holistic development of a child. Our objective of teaching English as Second Language will be fulfilled only when Indian students of any corner of country should at least know basic LSRW skills and fundamental grammatical topics according to age group. NCF 2005 discussed the objective of teaching English, “English does not stand alone. The aim of English teaching is the creation of multilinguals who can enrich all our languages; this has been an abiding national vision.” (NCF,2005)
From Class 1st to 6th –English Language Teaching Objective as well as Learning outcome during an academic session
- Acquire the skills of listening, speaking, reading, writing and thinking in an integrated manner.
- Develop interpersonal communication skills.
- Attains basic proficiency like. Developing ability to express one’s thoughts orally and in writing in a meaningful way in English language.
- Able to interpret/understand instructions and polite forms of expression & respond meaningfully both orally & in writing.
- Develops reference skills both printed & electronic mode.
- Acquire varied range of vocabulary; understand increased complexity of sentence structures both in reading and writing.
- Able to express an awareness of social and environmental issues.
- Ability to read & interpret critically the texts in different contexts-both verbal (including Braille) & pictorial mode.
Winner and loser- reason-qualities -characteristics-amazing answers by school children
Nobody is inferior and nobody is superior. Every child perceives life circumstances in a unique way. Child’s uniqueness reflects in his thought process. We learn something new and unique things everyday in our life. An individual gets learning opportunities every moment.
We sense our learning in each passed minutes, hours and days. Child lives in his own world. S/he considers world’s problem in his own way. S/he interprets an incident and a situation at different life perspectives. A Child observation, feelings and life perspectives surprises us every moment and every interaction with him.
We were talking with class 3rd kids (8-9 years old) boys and girls in an informal interaction. Teacher asked a question” Kaun Harta Hai/Who losses/who is looser”. It was surprising moment for the teacher. Children were enthusiastically touching different aspects of “loosing” in our life. They shared different characteristics of a looser. It means, they know the qualities of a winner.
Basically, they identified various aspects of losing in life. They correlated losing with (a) sports (b) battle (c) learning styles (d) examination (e) proper practice (f) positive attitude. Teacher used “Brainstorming” technique to feel the pulse of students. They know techniques of winning in all walks of life. A sensible educator sensitizes child’s senses and motivates them to achieve desired goal in life.
Characteristics of a looser in different walks of life:-
Sports: – Who does not play good?
Battle: – Who does not go to battlefield? (Taking Initiative) (b) Who does not win in battle? (c) Who returns home without fighting? (Struggling attitude)
Examination: – Who does not prepare for an exam? (Preparation) (b) Who does not pass in the test? (c) Who scored less marks in an exam?
Learning styles: – Who does not learn? (b) Whose handwriting is not good? (c) Whose writing speed is very slow?
Proper practice: – Who is very lazy? (b) Who does not work hard?
Child knows very well that if s/he will work very hard and do proper practice then only we will be a winner otherwise person will be looser in his life.
Educator asked second question to the students, “Who would win/wins/is winner?”
Educator encourages every learner to come out with proper answer. What do they think? Who wins in life? Who is winner in life? Once again children touched most essential feature of a winner or winning attitude. Children were confident on most essential feature, “working hard” and “working hard on time”.
They came up with interesting answers which reflected their awareness. Ms. Pritu said, “Who will save water; will be a winner” and Ms.Yaksha shared that “who will respect elder; will be a winner” and Ms. Pratiksha wrote that “who will follow good manner; will be a winner”.
Although, these human essential values may not directly help to become a winner but subconsciously and consciously it helps to develop a positive attitude. In fact, positive attitude is essential characteristic for winning a situation/battle and learning life skills.
Educator instills essential human values in each and every child of a class. The fact, every child is unique. God creates inbuilt good human being for the universe. Our parent, society, teacher, and school nurtures inherent talent of an individual. He shows us right path to walk and to achieve goal of our life, “a skilled personality with human values”. They already exhibit different skills and essential human values. Our core task is to make them realize the importance of right values of life at right time to become an integrated personality. Our core task is to give them right direction at right time. Our core task is to make the sensible and wise world citizen who can think for cosmic peace and prosperity.
Duties of School Time Table-In charge
The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery…….Mark Van Doren
|Teacher||In charge School Time Table||Principal|
The teacher can become the instrument and medium for the birth of a new world, a new life and a new human being. Teacher is responsible and accountable for the fate of generation of a nation. Teacher must be a motivator; an observer, a cultivator, a catalyst and a facilitator at the most to make students awaken, realize and actualize their potentialities. Henry Von Dyke rightly stated about teacher, “I sing the praise of the unknown teacher, king of himself and the leader of the mankind”. If the teachers are well educated and if they are intellectually alive and take keen interest in their job, then only, success is ensured. But, if they are not well trained in educational field and if they cannot give their heart to their profession, the system is destined to fail. Teaching is purely a noble profession. While talking to quality of a teacher Swami Vivekanand states that the true teacher is he who can immediately come down to the level of student, transfer his soul to the student’s soul and see through and understand through his mind. Such a teacher can really teach and none else.
Teacher is a role model. Role models are people who set good examples by the words, they speak and by the actions they speak. The teachers’ entire personality is a reflection on the minds of the students. If the teacher is honest, leads a balanced and disciplined life, the children adopt these virtues as an ideal conduct unconsciously.
School time table is architecture of an institution. Each and every minute of school should be used for holistic development of child. Time is precious. Time table in charge (teacher) is commanding officer of the school. S/he has enormous task to perform on daily basis. Usually, time table in charge performs all necessary duties which each teacher performs on daily basis. It is an additional duty for a teacher in different countries.
Time table in charge ensures proper time table for each and every teacher. S/he discusses present situation with the school head/principal. S/he works on school principles and guidelines. S/he reports directly to the academic coordinator/vice-principal/principal. She is ready to follow principal guidelines properly and accurately while distributing periods for each and every teacher. S/he is a meticulous personality.
Characteristic of Time-Table In charge
Duties of Time-Table In charge
Preparing school time table -coordination with principal
School time table should me designed concretely, accurately and rationally. Time table in charge discusses each and every thing with Principal (a) Subject distribution according to subject specialization and school need (b) Teacher’s teaching period
Prepare teacher time table coordination with principal
Time table in charge prepares time table for each and every teacher. It avoids clash among other teachers. Teacher keeps his/her own time-table. It helps teacher to reach classroom on time.
Update time table according to the school need
Time table in charge keeps school time table updating time to time. It may be possible that some teacher has left the school in a short notice/will be absent from school for 10-15 days/ recruiting of new teacher/sickness of other teacher etc. Time table in charge immediately reports to the higher authority. Time table in charge updates teacher times tables/adjust time table times of these cases with immediate effect so that students study should not hamper.
Ensure that timing bell rings (Period wise) on time
Time table in charges ensures that bell machine works properly. It helps teacher to reach different classes/exchange classes from one class to another. It may be possible that machine stops working/technical problems start in bell machine or something else.
Inform teacher well in advanced regarding some changes in time table
Time table in charge should modify teachers’ time table well in advance in the time of school need. Two issues should be handled smartly (i) modification in time table (ii) inform well in advance to the next teacher to avoid great academic loss of student
Ensure that no class should go vacant without teacher
A teacher may be absent from school on emergency basis/may have taken advanced leave from higher authority/may be more than one teacher absent from school for various reason. Time table in charge assigns substitution/proxy duty to other available teacher in the school. It may be possible that substitution teacher forget to reach classroom on time since it is not his/her regular period. TT in charge should develop mechanism to remind the teacher to reach classroom on time.
Report to principal regarding any discrepancy in time –table
TT in charge should develop a good rapport with the principal to avoid clash among other teacher. S/he should immediately report to the principal, if s/he finds any discrepancy in time table/teacher’s reporting/teacher does not listen IC (TT)/teacher does not reach classroom on time/left the class before the time etc.
Time is precious. Making time table in school and ensuring punctuality among teacher are two core issues for providing quality education for each and every one in the school. It is prime concern of time table in charge to prepare a concrete time table for the school. A good school time table is an assurance for providing quality education to one and all. An alert and punctual time table in charge can make it possible.