English Language Teaching Objective and Learning Outcome at Elementary Stage
Learning Outcomes at Elementary Stage
English language teacher will adopt integrated language teaching approach. We will focus on developing different language skills (Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing) and integrated grammar. The National Curriculum Framework (NCF 2005) provides the framework for developing curriculum and syllabus, textbooks and teaching practices within the school education programmes in India. English teacher should focuses on developing LSRW skills in the classroom. They should focus on developing different language skills and teach integrated English Grammar for developing language accuracy and fluency among students.
Learning should be an enjoyable act where children should feel that they are valued and their voices are heard. The curriculum structure and school should be designed to make school a satisfactory place for students to feel secure and valued. The curriculum should focus on the holistic development of the students. (National Curriculum Framework- 2005) Students should learn following things in an academic year. Primary level is crucial stage for learning. Student learns language very fast in this stage. Teacher should cover all necessary skills for the holistic development of a child. Our objective of teaching English as Second Language will be fulfilled only when Indian students of any corner of country should at least know basic LSRW skills and fundamental grammatical topics according to age group. NCF 2005 discussed the objective of teaching English, “English does not stand alone. The aim of English teaching is the creation of multilinguals who can enrich all our languages; this has been an abiding national vision.” (NCF,2005)
From Class 1st to 6th –English Language Teaching Objective as well as Learning outcome during an academic session
- Acquire the skills of listening, speaking, reading, writing and thinking in an integrated manner.
- Develop interpersonal communication skills.
- Attains basic proficiency like. Developing ability to express one’s thoughts orally and in writing in a meaningful way in English language.
- Able to interpret/understand instructions and polite forms of expression & respond meaningfully both orally & in writing.
- Develops reference skills both printed & electronic mode.
- Acquire varied range of vocabulary; understand increased complexity of sentence structures both in reading and writing.
- Able to express an awareness of social and environmental issues.
- Ability to read & interpret critically the texts in different contexts-both verbal (including Braille) & pictorial mode.