Students’ Learning Enhancement Guidelines- NCERT–School Education
Know the challenges of online teaching learning process
Know the outcome of survey conducted on national level
How we can maximize learning in online-teaching learning process?
Effective online and offline Classroom management:
All students, with different learning styles and behaviours, should be prevented from getting distracted and encouraged to remain organized, attentive, focused, through various strategies.
5Ps Model-Patience, Planning, Preparation, Perspective, Perseverance may be adopted for Effective Class Management.
- Personalised teaching strategies as per the learning style of the individual students.
- Emotional support to learners.
- Enhanced parent-teacher interaction to support the children in their effective learning.
Online Teaching- Learning Challenges: Reason of Failures
The following factors created hindrance in learning.
- Poor Internet/ Network Connectivity/Signal.
- Sharing and use of contents for on-line classes was difficult through mobile phones.
- Lack of knowledge of using devices for effective educational purposes. Teachers were not well-versed with On-line teaching methodologies.
- About half of the students stated that they did not have the school textbooks. Although the e-text books are available on NCERT website and DIKSHA, the probable reasons behind this feedback are:
- Students are used to studying from the hardcopy of the textbooks
- Lack of awareness regarding the availability of the e-textbook.
- Paucity of devices with students and teachers.
- Lack of orientation of students and teachers in on-line mode of teaching/learning.
- Intermittent/ lack of electricity was also one of the major concerns hindering the teaching-learning as around 28% of the stakeholders mentioned it in the survey.
The absence of enriched interaction between the teacher and the students was one of the reasons as identified by the stakeholders.
Subject Areas Reported Difficult to Address through On-line Mode
1. The majority of the stakeholders pointed out that mathematics as a subject was difficult to learn via online medium. Since, mathematics contains a number of concepts which require interaction, continuous support, monitoring from the teacher and these aspects were lacking in the online mode of teaching.
2. Next to Mathematics, Science was identified as the subject of concern since it contains several concepts and practical experiments which could only be done in the laboratory under the supervision of the teacher.
3. A few stakeholders also found Social Science as a difficult subject to grasp through online classes.
4. Around 17% of students identified languages as being a difficult subject to learn through online medium.
5. Many students and parents felt the need for Physical Education Classes through online mode, as physical fitness is the need of the hour to combat this pandemic.
6. Arts education can help to reduce stress and boredom. Around 10% of the stakeholders mentioned art education as a subject of concern.
Effective Online Classroom Teaching Techniques:-
How Does a Learner Develop Comprehension in Online Teaching Learning Process?
The students who found learning enjoyable, stated the following reasons-
- They learnt through their own schedule (approximately 46.8%).
- Teachers had planned interesting activities (approximately 46.4%).
- Parents‟ participated in the teaching learning process (approximately 34%).
- Many students found the online mode of teaching to be a new and innovative method, wherein they got a lot of interesting activities from their teachers, which helped in breaking the monotony during the period of lockdown.
- With the online education and activities, students had the support of their parents in their learning.
- Students could self-analyse their weak areas and had enough time to work on those areas with the help of the content available on the web or YouTube videos.
By focusing on how the child can achieve learning outcomes, the learning plan can be based on the present situation of the child at home. For example, for a child in grade I, the learning outcome – associates words with pictures – can be easily taught with the use of resources available from or at home such as newspapers, food packets, things at home, TV programmes, nature, etc. All that will be needed is guidance to the parents.
In this manner, weekly, fortnightly, or monthly Learning Plans will need to be prepared for every learner for every grade.