A notice is written by an individual, a group, an organization or a body to draw the attention of the readers to a certain issue that needs immediate attention or active participation. All the required information must be given in a simple, concise, attractive manner so that people notice it.
Download PDF File – How to write Notice- Examples -Rules -Format
Why do we write a notice?
- A notice conveys information in a comprehensive manner. It is usually advance information about
- A happening
- General instructions
- An event.
- A function.
- An inauguration.
- A programme
- It could also be
- A notice for Lost or Found.
- Public notices regarding
What should a notice contain?????????
- Always write notice in a box
- Content of a notice
- A headline/title, date of issue and a signatory
- Details of the event, its time, date , venue and duration
- The organization /individuals responsible for the notice
- Responsible person to contact for further details, with mobile number/clear and complete address/fax number/email address etc.
- Present information briefly, concretely, and accurately
- Begin with the phrase “This is to inform all the students of senior classes…”
- Last sentence can be, “For further information, contact the undersigned.”
- Do not exceed more than 50 words
The style of the language depends on the person it addresses and the objectives of writing notice.
Do you think that each notice has a purpose, a particular theme and objectives?
Notice covers a wide range of themes.
- Cultural announcement
- Academic announcement
- Sports announcement
- Announcement of births and deaths
- Commercial activities i.e. inaugurations & sales, schedules‘ and reschedules of transport
Just have a look on a standard format of “Notice”
On the occasion of National Science and Technology Day, the school has decided to organize a Science Fair. Vikram, the secretary of the Science Society, wants to call a meeting of the office bearers of the society to discuss the arrangements for the fair. Write a notice is not more than 50 words.
25 May 2014
Meeting of Science Society
On the occasion of National Science and Technology Day, the school has decided to organize a fair. All office bearers are requested to attend a meeting in the School Library on 16 April 2005 at 10 am to discuss the arrangements for the fair.
- Vikram Singh (Secretary, Science Society)
You are Parthasarthy Mishra, the Head Boy of St John’s High School, and Dalhousie. You have been asked to write a notice regarding a sports kit bag found on the school playground. Write the notice in not more than 50 words. Invent necessary details.
St John’s High School, Dalhousie
10 April 2007
Found – A Sports Kit Bag
A sports kit bag was found on the playground on 9 April 2007 during the recess period. Anyone who has misplaced a grey sports bag with huge pockets can collect it from the undersigned within two days, that is, by 12 April 2007.
- Parth Parthasarthy Mishra (Head Boy)
You are Siddhart, head boy of JK Public School, Jammu. . Your school is publishing annual magazine next month. Write a notice for your school notice board and invite write ups from the student.
JK Public School, Jammu
10 April 2007
Our school is publishing annual magazine next month. Interested students can submit their articles, stories, essays, poems, jokes, etc to the undersigned in room no 205, in 4thperiod before 15th of this month. Mention your name, class, roll no, and also submit one photograph. Write up should be original. In choosing content decision of selection committee will be final.
EXERCISES ON NOTICE WRITING
- Your school is holding a cultural Fiesta for collecting funds for the Kargil Jawans’ Welfare Fund. Draft a notice for your school Notice Board giving details of the programme and donations to be made. Sign yourself as Manoj Sehgal, Cultural Secretary, Rose Public School, Mumbai.
- You are Rohan Kapoor, the secretary of the Science Club of your school. Write a notice is not more than 50 words informing the students about the C V Raman National Science Exhibition to be held and requesting them to participate in it enthusiastically. Inform them that outsiders, too, are welcome to this exhibition.
- You are the secretary of Springleaf Housing Society Welfare Association. Write a notice to be circulated to all the residents, informing them that there will be no water supply to your society on 24 and 25 August due to maintenance work in the underground storage tank. Write the notice within 50 words.
- You are Anita Desai/ Anup Sharma, the Sports secretary of St. Paul public school, Ahmadabad. Your school has decided to host the regional Level Basket Ball Tournament. Draft a notice for your school Notice Board inviting all the school children to attend the Tournament and cheer the participants.
- You are the President of the Students’ council of St. Francis Sr. Secondary school, Bangalore. You have invited a visiting Russian Ballet Troupe to give a performance in your school on the occasion of its Golden Jubilee celebrations. Write a notice in about 50 words, informing the students about this event. sign yourself as Rohit/Rakhi.
- You are the Sports Secretary of your school. write a notice in not more than 50 words for the school Notice Board, asking the students interested in Cricket to give their names for selection for your school Cricket team.( Eligibility—students above 14 years)
- The Hindustan Times Pace Programme is planning to hold fun-filled workshops on candle making and clay modelling for all Class VIII students on Children’s Day in the school. As Keni Pinto, the Head Boy, write a notice informing students about it. Include necessary details and write the notice is not more than 50 words.