Oceanography, Paleoceanography, Physical oceanography, Geological oceanography, Chemical oceanography, Biological oceanography,
Introduction of Oceanography
Oceanography is the study of the physical, chemical, and biological features of the ocean, including the ocean’s ancient history, its current condition, and its future. (National Geographic). Oceanography, also known as oceanology, is the scientific study of the ocean.
Need of Oceanography
In a time when the ocean is threatened by climate change and pollution, coastlines are eroding, and entire species of marine life are at risk of extinction, the role of oceanographers may be more important now than it has ever been. (National Geographic)
The course in Oceanography deals with the physical and biological aspects of the ocean and covers the study of ecosystem, geological and geophysical aspects of oceans; ocean waves currents, plate tectonics etc.
Academic and Research Field in Oceanography,
- Biological Oceanography,
- Chemical Oceanography,
- Geological Oceanography,
- Integrative Oceanography,
- Marine Archaeology,
- Marine Instrumentation,
- Ocean Engineering,
- Physical Oceanography,
Eligibility for Oceanography Course
10+2 with Physics, Chemistry , Maths/Biology and followed by B. Tech. or B.Sc. in Zoology/ Botany/Chemistry/ Fishery Science / Earth Science/ Physics/ Agriculture/ Microbiology/ Applied Sciences or equivalent or related subjects.
Courses in Oceanography
1. M. Sc. Oceanography and Coastal Area Studies.
2. M. Sc. Oceanography
3. M. Phil. Chemical Oceanography
4. M. Tech Ocean Technology
5. M. Sc. Marine Biology
Institutes/ Universities for Oceanography
CSIR – National Institute Of Oceanography
Introduction to –
The National Institute of Oceanography (NIO) with its headquarters at Dona Paula, Goa, and regional centres at Kochi, Mumbai and Visakhapatnam, is one of the 37 constituent laboratories of the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi.
CSIR-NIO was established on 1 January 1966 following the International Indian Ocean Expedition (IIOE) in the 1960s. The institute has since grown into a multi-disciplinary oceanographic research institute of international repute. The principal focus of research has been on observing and understanding special oceanographic characteristics of the Indian Ocean. The results have been reported in more than 5000 research articles so far.
Indian Institute of Information Technology Madras, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Indian Institute of Information Technology Kharagpur, West Bengal.
Indian Institute of Technology, Bhubaneswar
Alagappa University, Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu
University of Science and Technology, Cochin, Kerala.
Mangalore University, Karnataka.
List of colleges/university for pursuing different courses in Oceanography:- https://en.wikipedia.org/
- Centre of Advanced Study in Marine Biology & Oceanography (CASMB), Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu
- Centre for Atmospheric Sciences (CAS), Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
- Centre for Oceans, Rivers, Atmosphere and Land Sciences (CORAL), Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Centre for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (CAOS),
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc)
- Center for Earth and Space Sciences -UCESS-University Of Hyderabad,Hyderabad
- Central University of Punjab, Bathinda (CUPB)
- Centre for Ocean and Coastal Studies, University of Madras
- Centre for Atmospheric and Ocean Studies, University of Allahabad
- Centre for Marine Living Resources and Ecology, Ministry of Earth Sciences, Kochi, Kerala, India.
- Centre for Marine Science and Technology, Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Rajakkamangalam, Kanyakumari Dist, TN. India
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute, Kochi, Kerala, India
- Central Institute of Fisheries Technology, Kerala, India.
- Department of Aquaculture and Fisheries Science, M.E.S. Ponnani College, Ponnani, Malappuram Dist, Kerala, India.
- Department of Fisheries Science, Alagappa University, Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu, India
- Department of Physical Oceanography, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kerala
- Department of Meteorology and Oceanography, Andhra University
- Department of Marine Sciences, Goa University, Goa [/www.unigoa.ac.in/]
- Department of Ocean Studies and Marine Biology, Pondicherry University, Port Blair, Andaman Islands, India.
- Department of Post Graduate Studies in Marine Biology, Karnatak University Post Graduate centre, Karwar. Karnataka University. Dharwad
- Department of Marine Sciences, Berhampur University, Odisha
- Department of Marine Science, University of Calcutta
- Department of Oceanography and Coastal Area Studies, Alagappa University, Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu, India
- Faculty of Marine Sciences, Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu
- Indian National Center for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS), Hyderabad, India.
- Integrated Coastal and Marine area Management Project Directorate (ICMAM PD), Pallikaranai, Chennai
- Institute of Ocean Management (IOM), Anna University, Chennai
- Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies (KUFOS)
- Department of Marine Science, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli
- National Institute of Oceanography, Goa
- National Atmospheric Research Laboratory
- National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean research (NCAOR), Goa
- National Centre for Sustainable Coastal Management (NCSCM), Chennai
- National Institute of Oceanography, Goa (HQ), RC’s at Kochi, Mumbai and Vishakhapatnam.
- National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT), Pallikaranai, Chennai
- Nansen Environmental Research Centre (India), Kerala
- School of Energy Environment & Natural Resources, Madurai Kamaraj University, Tamil Nadu
- School of Marine Sciences, Cochin university of science and technology (CUSAT), Kerala
- School of Industrial fisheries, Cochin university of science and technology (CUSAT), Kerala
- School of Earth, Ocean and Climate Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology Bhubaneswar
- School of Oceanographic Studies, Jadavpur University
- Centre for Coastal Hazards and Disaster Mitigation in AMET University
- Department of Aquatic Biology and Fisheries, University of Kerala, Karyavattom, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
Career and Jobs
- Research Posts,
- Biological Oceanographers,
- Marine Biologists,
- Fisheries Scientists,
- Science Journalism,
- Chemical Oceanographers,
- Marine Geochemists,
- Geological oceanographers, Geophysicists,
Resources and Materials
CBSE Compendium of Academic Courses After 10+2
India Today, Indian Express, University Websites
Download Pdf Career, Courses and Jobs in Oceanography
Principal, Teacher- Trainer and Counselor
SEO- School Education